March 19, 2020
We community organizations that are part of theAmericas Caribbean Platform PLUS Coalition,in the current situation that the region and the world are facing against the Covid-19 coronavirus, and given the fact that:
- The World Health Organization (WHO) declared on March 11 that the coronavirus, Covid-19, is a pandemic, after observing the alarming levels of spread and severity it causes.
- Covid-19 cases continue to increase worldwide and in the Americas and the Caribbean region.
- Countries representing their governments and their respective health authorities have declared health emergencies and are taking steps to limit the impact on general public health.
- That among those who develop serious illnesses, there are precisely those who are most vulnerable, such as the elderly, and those with underlying medical conditions, such as hypertension, heart problems, diabetes, or immune system deficiencies
- States must guarantee the right to health and life as fundamental human rights.
- Every effort should be made to contain the transmission of Covid-19 and provide care to those affected, as these efforts provide the health systems and society as a whole with the time necessary to advance their preparation, and more researchers time to find effective treatments and develop vaccines.
With this in mind, we invite the governments of the countries of the region and the community in general to do the same:
- Implement mitigation measures against the possibility of Covid-19 infection in people living with HIV.
- Implement health care actions, such as telemedicine and home consultations, to preserve people's health.
- Ensure the supply of antiretroviral drugs and ensure that their delivery is not affected by the current health emergency.
- Ensure confidentiality in the event that a person living with HIV is affected by the Covid-19 Coronavirus.
- Implement social protection actions, such as food aid for people in conditions of greater vulnerability.
- That organizations and institutions that work with people living with HIV insist with their beneficiaries, employees and volunteers on preventive measures against the Covid-19 Coronavirus.
Finally, the PLUS Coalition Platform of America and the Caribbean, through the organizations that belong to it, will continue to pay special attention to people living with HIV and to develop actions that protect their rights, their health and their lives..
Americas-Caribbean PLUS Coalition Platform